Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Everything old is new again

Jane draws water!

Allan and Don prepare the pump for final placement

Closeup of the McDougall pump

On Monday, October 13, Don Murphy assisted by Allan Park and Jane McDonald installed our "new", winter-ready hand pump. For Jane, this is the fulfillment of a dream held since childhood when she spent many happy hours in Boissevain, Manitoba where every house and garden had a mysterious backyard pump that magically brought cold, clear water from nowhere.

The pump was been lovingly and effectively restored by Don after his boss, Dennis Chadwick, donated the giant cast iron beauty that had been lying in one of his fields for years. The pump was made in Galt, Ontario by R.McDougall Company and there were traces of its orginal colour, forest green. It weighs many, many pounds, but thanks to Don's ingenuity and Allan's strength, it arrived safely at its new home on the Reserve.

This Thanksgiving, the deer and the deer keepers are very thankful for Don Murphy and Dennis Chadwick and for the simple wisdom of "old" technology.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a beatifull pump indeed! I have one myself that I removed from my great grandfather's homestead a few years ago. I have been hunting for parts for it ever since. I require the handle, the handle fulcrum (or perhaps it is called the handle connecting rod)and I'm not sure what you call it but its the part which the fulcrum is bolted to. Its the same part which also guides the pump rod at the top of the pump. Its all cast iron. Anyway, I would VERY MUCH appreciate any and all leads that you may be able to provide. I can be contacted at : danasha@mts.net

What a beautifull pump!! Thank you for sharing!!

Dan D.
Ste. Anne, Manitoba